Saturday 4 February 2017

DOCTOR WHO MARATHON 68th MEET-UP - THE TIME WARRIOR

Sunday 8th January 2017

It was time for the first meeting of 2017!  A new year and a new season!  This time we would see a new title sequence, a new alien foe (which would return again and again), a new assistant AND even more Pertwee hair!   So let us travel to Leigh's and see what happened to us lot....

********************************************************************************************************

MJ: "Here we are at Leigh's, errrr, it's New Year so the first one of the new year - I believe?  Is it?  Or have we had one already!?"

Shaun: "No."

Leigh: "No it's the first one.  It's only the seventh... sixth?  Eight?  Ninth?  Ninth!!"

*Everybody proceeds to sing the tune of 'The Lambada'!*

MJ: "We're doing 'The Lambada' because -" *Laughter*

Jason: "Don't explain it!"

Mark: "Leigh's car failed it."

MJ: "Because Leigh's car failed to do 'The Lambada'!" *Laughing* "So he's getting penalised - giggerty!"

Leigh: "No you misread it - it's 'Lambda'!  It's a 'Lambda' class shuttle from 'Return Of The Jedi' so..."

*Laughter*

MJ: "I don't even know what that is - is the the Empire's shuttle that they (The Rebels) take?"

Leigh: "Yeah."

MJ: "Well there you go there, anyway Doctor Who - " *Laughter* "New year - new season as well last time we finished with Jon Pertwee as you all know, if you read.... which you didn't!"

Shaun: "I did!!"

MJ: "Yeah!!"

Shaun: "Oh no I didn't 'cos you haven't put it online yet!"

MJ: "I haven't written it yet."

Shaun: "I'M LYING!!!"

*Leigh laughs*

MJ: "I'm still behind.  But this one is 'The Time Warrior'.  It's a four parter with Jon Pertwee and his last season!  So..."

Shaun: "And Jo is gone!"

MJ: "Jo is gone."

Shaun: "And now we have Sarah-Jane-Jessica Parker...."

Jason: "We don't KNOW that yet!"

Leigh: *Laughing* "Sarah-Jane-Jessica Parker?!"

Shaun: *Laughing* "Yeah!  She talks about shoes and shagging The Doctor - it's a real departure to the previously child-friendly thing!"

*Mark chuckles*

*EPISODE ONE STARTS*

MJ: "Anyway Episode One - and we've started!  Will it have the same - Oooo!  Different title sequence!" *Oooo's from the group*  "It's pretty cool - and there he is (The Doctor) but not just him!  His whole body!!"

*Leigh chuckles*

Shaun: "He's falling into space!!"

Jason" And time."

Leigh: "But he doesn't look particularly bothered!"

Shaun: "No."

MJ: "And that's the first use of that logo (The famous diamond-shaped Doctor Who logo) I think?"

Jason: "Yes I believe so."

MJ: "So that's the new Doctor Who logo."

Jason: "For all you Graphic Designers out there - New logo!"

*Leigh & Mark laugh*

MJ: *Reading titles* "Robert Holmes - who wrote a lot of the good ones."

Shaun: *Looking at TV* "Space."

Jason: "New space.  Superman being born!  Well, not being born..."

Shaun: "Being transported from Krypton to Earth."

Jason: "Did he just axe a banana?"

Shaun: "Sean Bean!!"

MJ: "No!  It's medieval knights!"

Jason: "It's the craze."

MJ: "Part One."

*EPISODE ONE GETS WATCHED*


Photo 1: At Leigh's house.
Mark, Shaun (with the DVD case),
Jason (with the sign) and Leigh.

MJ: "So there we go!  We just had an episode there where the reveal at the end is that it's a Sontaran - he had his helmet on all the way through - giggerty!  And we had Dot Cotton in it!  (a character from the British soap opera 'Eastenders' - played by June Brown)  Which was nice!  And we had the guy who played Boba Fett!" *Mark & Leigh chuckle* "And Sarah Jane Smith is in it, so there we go.  That's all you need to know about that.  They're back in time." *Sings* "Gotta get back in time!"

Leigh: *Reading titles* "Hah, 'Dicks'..."

Shaun: "This Sontaran is called 'Linx'!"

Jason: "Yes."

MJ: "Yes."

Mark: "Yeah."

Shaun: "I don't know if that is particularly relevant to the Sontarans as a whole?  I don't remember them having names?"

MJ: "You can spray them on your armpit but I don;t know if it would smell that good..." *Laughs*

Shaun: "Also venture in quests for 'Princess Zelda'!  I doubt he's going to do that."

Leigh: "German for 'left' - Linx."

Shaun: "Yes!"

MJ: "Is it!?  Well there you go!  What's 'Right'?"

Leigh: "I can't remember!"

Jason: "Everything."

*Leigh laughs*

*EPISODE TWO STARTS*

MJ: "Anyway there we go.  Sarah Jane is getting manhandled by a guy - she's gone back in time (She stowed away on board the Doctor's TARDIS!).  Part Two!

*EPISODE TWO GETS WATCHED*


Photo 2: At Leigh's house.
MJ, Shaun (with the DVD case),
Jason (with the sign) and Leigh.
*Partway through a chat*

Shaun: "..Prophetic - "

Jason: "- Pathetic!"

Shaun: "- He knows this is the last season so he know he'll die in about four stories time."

Leigh: "I reckon that cliff-hanger (of The Doctor falling over whilst Irongron - the story's human villain - raises his axe over him) will be resolved by him going 'I wonder what I was going to do!?  Oh, I'd better go back'!"

*Shaun laughs*

MJ: "Yes The Doctor is about to get hit by a MASSIVE weapon..."

Leigh: *Deadpan* "F-narr, f-narr."

Jason: "I liked Professor Rubeish!"

MJ: "Rubeish is brilliant!"

Leigh: "Rubbish!"

MJ: "He's not 'Rube-ish'! (Rubbish)"

Jason: "He isn't!  He's funny!"

MJ: "With his 'Can't see' and general chit-chat!"

Jason: "He's like the First Doctor when he got better and not murdering!"

MJ: "Yes." *Mark starts laughing*  "What?"

Mark: "We're surrounded by 'Dicks'!"

*Jason chuckles*

MJ: Who is?"

Mark: "There's a Dick Mills - "

MJ: "- Oh I see!"

Mark: "- There's a Terrence Dicks."

MJ: "Yep!  Does he?!"

Mark: "And there's another one...something...somewhere...I don't know..."

MJ: "That's right."

Jason: "So what's happened so far MJ?!  Re-cap for them!"

MJ: "Can't really say what happened!  Did you enjoy it?"

Jason: "Well I'll explain.  The Sontarans - or one of them - has landed - and instantly declared he was claiming planet Earth with two flags."

Shaun: "Yes."

MJ: "From one flagpole."

Jason: "He didn't do that.  Then he was surrounded by people with swords, who then took him to the castle and they're now sort of... helping each other?  I dunno."

Mark: "He's giving them weapons so..."

Jason: "And they're stealing scientists from the farthest future he can reach which is -"

MJ: "Twentieth century."

Jason: "- Twentieth century -"

Mark: *Quietly* "Nineteen-seventies..."

Jason: "Including Rubeish -"

MJ: *Quietly* "Or eighties..."

*Mark chuckles*

Jason: "- And he's given them primitive weapons - well, not primitive weapons. He's given the primitives weapons!"

Shaun: "UNIT fired at an image of the Sontaran and missed even THAT!"

Jason: "Don't jump straight to the next bit!"

MJ: "It was a ghost, yeah."

Jason: "It wasn't a ghost."

Shaun: "It wasn't a ghost!  It was a projection."

Jason: "I don't know why - oh!  That was him (Linx) coming to the future was it?"

MJ: "Yes."

Jason: "To grab people."

MJ: "But only a ghostly image came through, for some reason."

Jason: "Sarah Jane's acting like a normal person would!  I think."

MJ: *Laughing* "Yeah!!  She thought it was some kind of...what do you call it?  A re-enactment thing and stuff like that.  And she's been very feisty and looking very pretty!"

Jason: "She's a fiery wench - I'll give her that!"

Mark: *Laughs* "If only the king had more of her then he could defend his own castle!"

MJ: "Yes he's a bit wet isn't he!?  That's the problem with that."

Jason: "They're both a bit sh*t!  Irongrum and the other - Alfred? (Actually Lord Edward of Wessex)"

MJ: "Well Irongrum's got a bit more passion about him - he's probably just a bit thick."

Mark: "Yep."

MJ: "He's like 'Urrrgggh I wanna do stuff!!!  But I don't really know how because I'm just ANGRY all the time!!  Urrrrghhhh, where's me porridge!!?'  ' We don't really have porridge down in England'  'Urrrrghhhh!!' " *Laughs*

Jason: "That summed it up!"

MJ: "So that's it.  But are you enjoying it so far, Shaun?"

Shaun: "I enjoyed Part One.  I thought Part Two was interminably slow.  Boring."

Jason: "I thought the opposite!"

Shaun: "Yeah?"

Jason: "I thought Part Two did a lot more stuff.  I thought Part One was - "

Shaun: "- I very much enjoyed the sh*tness of the robot!"

MJ: "Oh yeah!!  Of course!!"

Shaun: *Laughing* "And how it was more instantly defeatable than a human soldier!"

MJ: "The Sontaran made a robot for Irongrun and it was REALLY slow and rubbish!"

Jason: "I like the idea that he keeps making them and they can't be destroyed.  So there's lots of really bad - "

Shaun: *Laughing* "- Just laying on their side!!"

MJ: "Just laying on the floor wafting the sword!"

Jason: "- Lots of slightly different prototypes."

MJ: "Yeah."

Mark: It's the same plan as The War Machines though."

MJ: "Yeah that's right, yeah.  I mean I don't think you can kill it, but you actually just walk quite fast away from it!  So..."

Shaun: "You can very easily knock it over and it can't get back up!"

*Mark chuckles*

Jason: "When The War Machines attacked then they could use them!"

Mark: "Yes that's true."

MJ: "That's true.  The War Machines and Irongrun's robots!"

Jason: "Who would win?"

Leigh: "It depends if The War Machine was distracted by a cardboard box!"

*Laughter*

Mark: "All we can be sure of is that cardboard boxes would lose!"

Leigh: "Yes!"

Jason: "I'm not convinced..."

MJ: "I'm just thinking 'Iron Pants' because I know some people call 'Pants' (underwear) 'Grunts'.  And his name's 'Irongrunt'."

Shaun: "It's 'Irongrun'!"

MJ: *Laughing* "Yes I know - but t sounds like 'Irongrunt', so I'm just thinking of iron pants!"

Leigh: "Perhaps he's got iron pants."

MJ: *Laughing* "Maybe he has!"

Leigh: "Maybe he irons his pants?!"

MJ: "He would get a wench to do that!  She takes it to the laundrette where Lady Dot Cotton is!  And she says 'Oh I say...' "

Shaun: "I tell you something I did like in the second episode.  I very much liked the Sontaran going 'Well these fabrics aren't from this time period!  She's (Sarah-Jane) from the future'!  That was great!"

MJ: "Yes."

Shaun: "I thought there was going to be a lot more dicking around with that!" *Mark laughs* "Make it into a whole comedy skit for a whole episode but, no.  He just went 'Nah she's (Sarah-Jane) not from here she must have been in my Time-vortex all along!  We'll figure this out'!"

Mark: "Yeah."

MJ: "That was good.  I like the Sontaran - he's pretty good.  Got a 'Chelsea Smile' as I said."

Shaun: "I'm enjoying the guy playing the Sontaran but he looked a lot better with the helmet on!"

Leigh: "He said the same about you!"

Jason: "It's a single-sex society - he doesn't need to impress anyone!  Just reproduces at will.  Well, not AT will - whoever Will is!" *Laughter*

Leigh: "Oi Will!  I'm going to reproduce at you!"

MJ: *Laughing* "Maybe Will Scarlett will come into it in a little while!"

Jason: "And of course we're all discussing where they get their hair done! That's the main thing!"

*Leigh laughs*

MJ: "Yeah!"

Leigh: "That IS the principle concern!"

MJ: "Erm, Jeremy Bulloch - Hal The Archer.  He's got a very nice bouffanty, blonde, mulletty thing!"

Jason: "Oh I didn't know his name was Hal The Archer."

MJ: "Yes.  I don't know why it's stuck in my head!  It's just one of those things."

Mark: "It's in the credits."

MJ: "No but I knew that before!  It's one of those... even though I've only watched it once before it's been mentioned a lot - probably because he played Boba Fett and they also say 'Oh he also played Hal the Archer' in 'The Time Warrior'."

Jason: "Which one is Bloodaxe?  Is he the one in the red?  I saw the credit at the end."

MJ: "Oh!  Bloodaxe?  Well I suppose he could be the one in the red." (he was!)

Jason: "He's not Irongrun, he's not the archer..."

MJ: "Is he the one with the scrappy beard?  Who's a bit:" *Makes scared noise*
"Oh I THINK he was in the (First Doctor story) 'The Savages'! (He wasn't!  I've since looked it up!)"

Jason: "Oh that's not going to help!"

Leigh: *From his kitchen* "The Sandwiches?!"

*Jason laughs*

Jason: "What kind of sandwich was he in?!"

Mark: *Laughing* "Yeah what kind of sandwich?!"

MJ: "SAVAGES!  But I don't know what the character was."

Jason:*Laughing* "Yeah it's not going to help me!"

MJ: "It's not going to help any of you!"

Jason: "If you told me the character name I'm not going to go 'Oh yes, Savage Number Two'!"

*Leigh laughs*

MJ: Well it was a re-con one so it might be difficult to...  Okay I'll pause it now for Episode Three."

*EPISODE THREE GETS WATCHED*


Photo 3: At Leigh's house.
Mark, Shaun (with the DVD case),
Jason (with the sign) and Leigh.

MJ: "End of Episode Three and The Doctor has tried to bargain with Linx.  And he says 'What's your answer?' and he just raises his pistol and says 'This is my answer' and he shoots The Doctor!!  And now he's dead - so that's good."

Leigh: "I'm glad we watched every 'Doctor Who' episode ever!"

*Laughter*

MJ: "Yeah, that was good!"

Shaun: "The end of Part Four is a eulogy!"

*Leigh laughs*

MJ: "Oh!  Just as a side-note, I've just realised that this is the first time we'e done a historical story - since they stopped doing them!" *Laughter* "You know, for years - since 'The Highlanders'!"

Jason: "They're ALL historical for The Doctor."

MJ: "'The Highlanders' - which was Troughton's second story."

Jason: "Does it count as true historical if there's space travel and all that in it?  There's an alien in it!"

Shaun: "It's not like the ones where he just goes back to a time where he is essentially skirting around the outside of events that have already happened."

MJ: "Well that's what they've done.  They decided to do historicals again but with this kind of twist. And that's how it's gone since."

Jason: "Well, I don't like it!  I like this one!  I just don't think I'd squeeze an alien in every week."

MJ: "Anyway!  Part Four!"

*EPISODE FOUR GETS WATCHED*


Photo 4: At Leigh's house.
MJ, Shaun (with the DVD case),
Jason (with the sign) and Leigh.

Jason: "That was fine."

MJ: "Jason enjoyed that - said 'It was fine'!" *Leigh laughs* "So, yayyy!  That was the end of part four and the castle blew-up and we had an exploding castle picture... except we didn't!  We just had a quarry exploding!"

Jason: "Was Meg the old woman?"

Leigh: "Dunno!"

MJ: "I guess so - it sounds like an old woman name from back then, except for now -"

Jason: "Well she'll definitely be old by now!"

MJ: "Yeah.  Although nowadays it's Meg and James - and she's not an old woman!  She will be one day, but erm..."

Shaun: "Who's Megan James?"

Jason: "Meg AND James!"

Shaun: "Oh! I thought he said 'Megan James'!"

*Jason & MJ laugh*

Jason: "'Meg and Mog'."

MJ: "Hah!  'Meg and Mog'!  So did you enjoy 'The Time Warrior'!?"

Shaun: "No!"

*Laughter*

Jason: "I can;t see anything wrong with that!"

MJ: "WHAT!!?  Really, you didn't like it!?"

Shaun: "I barely was awake during most of it!"

*Laughter*

Jason: "Well that's going to affect your opinion, probably!"

Mark: "As with most of these it was probably three episodes too long!"

Jason: "Stop having busy Saturdays and a social life!"

Shaun: "It's nothing to do with that!  I was just really bored!" *Laughs*

MJ: *Surprised* "Oh!  Okay!"

Jason: "There was banter!  There was a pirate! (Was there??!)  There was a mad professor!"

Shaun: "I liked the Sontaran!"

MJ: "I thought the script was very good!  It was witty - Robert Holmes is quite well known for writing quite funny, witty, sharp scripts."

Shaun: "I think your idea of 'Funny' and mine are very different!" *Laughs* "I don't think of 'Doctor Who' and think 'Funny'!"

Jason: *Laughing* "Yeah, but compared to Doctor Who (stories that we have seen so far) there was a lot of funny moments.  Well, not a lot, but some!"

Mark: "I'm disappointed Rubbish (Rubeish) didn't go with them."

Shaun: "Yeah."

Mark: "He could have been the new companion."

Jason: "Well, he's only gone back to the UNIT time - so he's still about!  Well we assume he has!  They might have all been dispersed across time and space!"

Mark: "Is he definitely lurking about UNIT now?"

Jason: "I hope so, but from memory: no."

*Laughter*

MJ: "Mind you there's some of these I haven't seen, so maybe he'll be there..."

Shaun: "In the next one are they actually going to acknowledge that Sarah Jane Smith is now the companion?" *Laughing* "Or is that just it now!?"

MJ: "Yes, 'cos he hasn't actually invited her along -"

Shaun: "- No!  She snuck on the TARDIS, was quite useful on that adventure..."

Jason: "We'll find out!"

MJ: "Did you like Sarah Jane Smith in that?  Ignoring if you have seen her in future stories."

Shaun: "Erm, to be perfectly honest, she was certainly a better character than Jo already.  So she's fine, yeah.  She didn't have an awful lot to do, but..."

Mark: "She's already more useful than the UNIT-trained Jo."

*Laughter*

Shaun: "Yes!"

Mark: "So.... Yeah, she's feistier."

Shaun: "Yep!"

Jason: "She's had more outfit changes than Jo!"

Shaun: "She's very competent!"

Jason: "Jo had a lot of outfits but she had MORE outfits!"

MJ: "She DID have quite a few outfit changes!  I quite like her in her Robin Hood thing - I could see her doing panto!"

Jason: "Not now you can't."

MJ: "No."

Shaun: "No, she's dead."

MJ: "No, she's dead.  Not then though!  Not in her prime.  She's a very pretty, young lady."

Shaun: "Now we were discussing this the other day, Jason -"

Jason: "- What, that she's a very pretty, young lady?"

*Mark chuckles*

Shaun: "No!  We were discussing seventies hair and that completely putting you off a woman!"

Jason: "Oh!!  No, she was alright in this one!"

Shaun: "Yeah?  The hair was okay?"

MJ: "Yeah I think it was!"

Jason: "I think it was more the full-on, single-coloured suit at the beginning.  I remember her having more of a bowl-cut in the early ones.  In that picture (on the DVD menu) she's absolutely fine."

MJ: "Yeah."

Mark: "The Doctor, however, has a better perm!"

*Laughter*

MJ: "He's a bit more bouffant-y!"

Jason: "We're talking a LOT about hair in this story line!"

*Leigh chuckles*

MJ: "Well that's what we do!  That's what 'REAL men' do!  They go around watch old 'Doctor Who' and talk about haircuts!"

*Leigh laughs*

Jason: "Only old Sarah Jessica...."

Leigh: "Fletcher."

Jason: "Fletcher!!"


*Laughter*

Shaun: *Referring to DVD menu replaying some action from the serial* "Ninety percent of the action was in this little two minute thing!"

*Laughter*

Jason: "I think yeah, I was a bit annoyed at the Sontar - I like the idea that the Sontarans are a bit sh*t.  'Cos in his head he's a galactic warrior that takes over planets."

Shaun: "Yeah."

Jason: "But in reality he's just 'I've got to repair my machine which has failed it's MOT and I need it fixed up a bit'."

Shaun: "Yeah but it's quite nice that the Sontaran, himself, knew that he was just a body to be thrown at the enemy."

Mark: "Yeah."

Shaun: "I mean his entire purpose was 'I need to get back to throw myself at the enemy' - I quite liked that!"

Jason: "What's the Sontarans enemies called?"

MJ: "The Rutans?"

Jason: "Rutans.  Yeah it's a bit like 'Croutons' so I remember that!  Do we ever meet them?"

MJ: "I don't know?  There's sort of a war that's been going on for millennia, and stuff, and they don't seem to... I think it's mentioned in the new series."

Shaun: "Well Sontarans don't appear a lot, do they?"

MJ: "Not OVERLY much.  There's an appearance with Tom Baker (two) and then Colin Baker (one) - "

Leigh: "- They always go to the bottom, like in cereals.  Sultanas..."

*Sniggers*

MJ: "Anyway, that's that!  How about you, Mr. Leigh?  Did you find that alright?"

Leigh: "It was fine!" *Laughing* "It wasn't brilliant!  But I didn't dislike it as much as Shaun did!  I stayed awake through it all!"

*Laughter*

MJ: "Yeah!"

Shaun: *Laughing* "I didn't exactly dislike it - I was just really, really bored!"



Photo 5: At Leigh's house.
Mark & Shaun (with the DVD case).
Here Shaun displays his boredom.

MJ: "Were you really bored Mark?"

Mark: "I wasn't, like, as bored as I have been in other ones." *Leigh chuckles* "I'm glad it wasn't a six-parter!"

Shaun: "To be fair it's been quite a while since I was really bored by one!"

Mark: "I genuinely mean there was, like, TWO episodes of story in that!"

Jason: *Laughing* "That's what you said the last time!"

*Leigh laughs*

Mark: *Laughing* "I know!  But it's still true!"

MJ: "It seemed okay to me."

Mark: "No, those two episodes of story were alright!"

Jason: "I liked the four episodes."

MJ: "Yeah I did!  I thought four episodes was a nice one.  We're back to six next time."

Shaun: "If there were another two episodes of that I DEFINITELY would have had a nap!" *Laughter* "I mean I was TRYING hard to stay awake!"

Jason: "It was getting two-thirds of the way through the third episode and I was thinking 'This is wrapping up!?  They seem to be finishing at THAT point!'  Yeah, it's alright."

MJ: "That's good, err, good sets and designs."

Shaun: *Seeing Jason take out 'The Book'* "We need to do the scores first!"

Jason: "I'm not looking at what they've got! Anyway I already know what my score's going to be.  Although I don't know how I'll work it out against other things I've already given scores to.  Apparently, the one I read today, I gave a very high score to, so..."

MJ: "Yeah - they're all over the place!  Well I really enjoyed it so I'm going to go eight for me!"

Shaun: "Bloody hell!"

*Mark laughs*

MJ: "I know, I know - it's good!  Four part.  I like the Sontaran - I thought he was nice and grumpy.  I liked the characters around him - they were quite funny and amusing."

Jason: "Well I'm going to go eight point five!  I thought it was quite watchable.  I have watched it before and I'll watch it again!  Not now."

MJ: *Laughing* "They should have put that on the DVD case!  'Quite watchable'!

*Laughter*

Jason: "It is relative to other ones and I'm not a big Pertwee fan generally!  But... it's alright, yeah!"

MJ: *Laughs* "Leigh?"

Leigh: "Errr, Seven."

MJ: "SEVEN!"

Leigh: "Solid seven."

MJ: "Solid seven.  Now then, you two!"

Shaun: "If I can destroy this curve!"

*Laughter*

Mark: "I'm going to give it a six point eight two."

MJ: "Six point eight two from Mark."

Shaun: "That's nearly a seven!"

Mark: "That's NEARLY a seven."

Shaun: "I'm going to give it... I was going to give it lower, but I'm actually going to up it slightly as I did really enjoy the Sontaran.  I'm going to give it a four point one three eight five two."

MJ: "Fair enough!"

Jason: "I want to mention something else."

MJ: "Oh okay."

Jason: "Sontaran make-up."

MJ: "Yeah?"

Jason: "I know it looks fake but I think that's believable and probably more believable than the more modern Sontaran make-up.  I like it 'cos it looks a bit sh*t and looks like something that's been made - which obviously it is, but...  It looks a bit fleshy whereas I think the modern ones look a bit plasticy."

Leigh: "I did notice that none of us were concerned where he got HIS hair cut!"

Jason: "I liked his eyebrows."

Shaun: "Yeah he did have little tufty bits down the side!"

MJ: "Yeah he does have tufty hairs and stuff like that!  They're an interesting design, aren't they?"

Leigh: "Yeah.  Space potatoes."

Shaun: "With the helmet on it looked really cool!"

Jason: "No it looks like the 'Spaceballs' Darth Vader chap!"

Shaun: "Dark Helmet."

MJ: "Hah!  So what does 'The Book' say, Jason?"

Jason: "Can you put the light on, please.  I can't see."

Leigh & Shaun: "Is that what 'The Book' says!?"

*Laughter*

MJ: "That's Rube-ish!"

Mark: "Yayyyy..."

Jason: "He's been waiting to say that!" *Reading from 'The Book'* " 'In the Thirteenth century a Sontaran is abducting scientists to restore his crashed spaceship.  Location filming took place at Peckforton Castle, Cheshire.  A new slit-scan animated title sequence debuted with this story designed by Bernard Lodge as a deliberate nod to the '2001: A Space Odyssey' star-gate trip'."

MJ: "Oh yeah - I can see that."

Jason: *Reading from 'The Book'* " ' Jeremy Bullock found later fame as Boba Fett in the 'Star Wars' films while June Brown is more famous as Dot from 'Eastenders'!"

*Leigh laughs*

Shaun: "It's not saying much about the episode as a whole so far!"

*Leigh laughs*

Jason: *Reading from 'The Book'* " 'Linx's latex mask was modelled by John Friedlander' - why do I know that name?"

Leigh: "He meant to make a Landrover afterwards."

MJ: "I think he's been mentioned in other (Doctor Who) stories."

Jason: "Oh I'm thinking of a character, anyway -" *Reading from 'The Book'* " 'And his quilted lurex costume was designed by James Acheson.  Pertwee and fans featured on a 'Radio Times' cover.  The Doctor's home planet was finally named 'Gallifrey''!"

MJ: "Oh so it WAS his first one!"

Jason: *Reading from 'The Book'* " 'Verdict: A clever hybrid of history and science fiction.  Linx is a chilling creation and, despite the hammy acting, there are some great moments.  Seven out of ten'."

MJ: "Ahh!  There you go!"

Jason: "Next week..."

Leigh: "'Invasion Of The Dinosaurs'!"

Shaun: *Grinning* "I've got to say I saw that title in your write-up and I'm incredibly excited for it!  'Cos whenever we've seen dinosaurs (in previous stories) they've been really crappy models, like in a doorway and stuff!  And I'm wanting SIX EPISODES of THAT!" *Mark laughs* "I'll be very, very disappointed!"

MJ: "Well they are renowned for being sh*t!" *Leigh laughs*

Shaun: *Excited* "YES!"

MJ: "Apparently the story is really good, but the execution of it is not as good as it could be!"

Shaun: "Oh yeah, yeah, yeah!  It's all about terrible special-effects!"

MJ: "I've never seen it so I'm looking forward to it!"

Mark: "Maybe there's not going to be as much dinosaur as you expect - 'cos that's what's expected!"

Jason: "If it's the one I think it is, I really enjoyed it!"

Shaun: "It's like 'Invasion Of The Daleks' only had TWO Daleks!" (I don't know what story he meant!  'Dalek Invasion Of Earth' had a lot of Daleks.  Maybe he thought of 'Day Of The Daleks' where they had a couple of Daleks - flanked by a couple of Ogrons - moving slowly towards a country house!)
MJ: "The first episode - because they didn't want to give it away that it was about dinosaurs - they just called it 'Invasion' and so people would watch it through and at the end was the reveal.  I'm telling you - in the group - as you already know it's called 'Invasion Of The Dinosaurs'."


Leigh: "Is the reveal when they open a door, and there's a dinosaur?" *Laughter* "And then they have to get on the floor and do 'The Dinosaur'?

MJ: "When you say: DO 'The Dinosaur'...." *Laughs*

Jason: "Oh it's six parts though."

MJ: "Yeah, six parts.  That's what I said."

Leigh: *Sarcastic* "Yeah, Jason!"

Shaun: *Sarcastic* "Yeah, Jason, it's what he said!"

Leigh: *Sarcastic* "Yeah, Jason!"

MJ: "I've put it in the Facebook group - I've put in each story and what they are (in length)."

Jason: "I try not to read it 'cos I get spoilers that there are dinosaurs in it!*Laughs*

Mark: "Is there a whole episode of Sam Neill climbing a fence?"

*Shaun laughs*

MJ: "Two first names - Sam Neill." *Mark laughs* "Okay then, with that I will see you next time!  Bye bye and all that kind of.... malarky." *Laughs* "Doctor Who."

*Mark chuckles*


Photo 6: At Leigh's house.
Mark: "Yeah, bit awkward now - perhaps we should leave...",
Shaun (with the DVD case) and a bit of Jason.
Who DOESN'T love a bit of Jason?...


********************************************************************************************************
So there we go!  That it be!  Here be dragons!  Etc etc et-bloomin'-cetera!  Generally this one went down okay - except with Shaun!  Here are the scores on the doors:

MJ: 8

Jason: 8.5

Leigh: 7

Mark: 6.82

Shaun: 4.13852


Which gives us a SEXY average of 6.891704. So a sort of middle story - although I thought it deserved higher!  Anyhow - next time we have rubber dinosaurs going 'Grrr' 'n' shizzle.

Until then I shall return, yes I shall return....

MJ - 04/02/17

No comments:

Post a Comment