Thursday 1 September 2016

DOCTOR WHO MARATHON 58th MEET-UP - DAY OF THE DALEKS

Sunday 10th July 2016

Hello well here we were at the start of Pertwee's THIRD season and it was the return of the Daleks for the first time in many, many years.  The DVD people had been nice and done a re-imagined version of the story with new Dalek voices, better effects and snappier editing - sadly I made the guys watch the ORIGINAL version!  Can't be spoiling them!
I also had to hand-write a sign as I forgot to print one out - let's read what happened....


********************************************************************************************************

MJ: "Yeah it will be Disc 1 because Disc 2 is the GOOD version!"
Leigh: "I wish we had a sign!"

MJ: "Hello".
Others: "Yeahhhh....."

Jason: "There's a bit of white paper there, if you want it."
MJ: "No I have got a sign - I hand-wrote a sign for this time.  Yes I forgot to write a sign for this time!  Okay we're around Jason's we're going to watch 'Day Of The Daleks' and as I was just explaining to the guys for the DVD they did an extra special GOOD version, where they dubbed all the (Dalek) voices and made it much better.... But we're not going to watch that!"
*Laughter*
Mark: " 'Cos MJ hates us!"
Shaun: "Yeah!"

MJ: " 'Cos we're going to watch it as it originally was - how the kids back then would have watched it!  And we're down with the kids?"
Mark: "Not in a '70s way!" MJ: "No.  Anyway - yay Doctor Who!  Full compliment here - we've got Mark, we've got Shaun, we've got Leigh, we've got me and we've got - erm whatshisname?"
Jason: "Shana."
MJ: "Yes!" *Laughs* "Shanary-Jasony-Jim!  And 'Day Of The Daleks' - and, err, turn it up. Erm.." *Laughs* "And this is the first one of Season Three - of Pertwee."
Jason: "I don't know without the book!"
Shaun: "Is this the final Pertwee season?"
MJ: "No!  There's one more after this.  Much to Mark's chagrin!  He was telling us before the recording that he doesn't like Pertwee.  He's not getting into it."
Mark: "I always said Pertwee was my least favourite."
Jason: "I don't like Doctor Who - it's s**t!!"
*Laughter*
MJ: "Boo!  Can you close the curtains Jason?"
Shaun: "So this is the first time we've seen the Daleks in a year?  Over a year?"
MJ: "Err - since 1967 I think - 'Evil Of The Daleks'."
Shaun: "I wasn't ALIVE in 1967 - that CAN'T be the last time I saw the Daleks!!"
MJ: "Hahah!  This is five years on in the show."
Shaun: "No I meant for us." 
MJ: "Oh for us?"
Shaun: "For us it's been about a year, right?"

MJ: "Yeah I reckon so, 'Evil Of The Daleks'."
Shaun: "It was an early Troughton one wasn't it?  Mid season Troughton one?  Since we last saw them?"
MJ: "It was the end of the first season - they bookend the first season ('Power Of The Daleks' at the start of the season and) 'Evil Of The Daleks' with the Daleks playing 'train' and the evil Emperor at the end - and they said 'The Final End'.  The final happy end.  Haha!"
Shaun: "The final happy end of the Daleks."
MJ: *To Jason* "Oh are you starting already?  Okay well let's go!  Episode One."
Jason: "Without further ado."
Mark: "Yeah."
Shaun: "Yeah."
Jason: "Without further a-Who."
Mark: "Ahhhh!"
MJ: "On THAT bomb shell..."

*EPISODE ONE GETS WATCHED*


Photo 1: At Jason's house -  MJ (with the DVD case),
Shaun (holding the sign),
Leigh & Jason (pointing!).

MJ: "End of Episode One!  Ended with some Daleks.  REA-LLY SLOW DA-LEKS!"
Shaun: "And there were Ogrons."
MJ: "Ogrons, yeah.  The Ogrons did look like, erm, creatures from Jabba's Palace (in Star Wars Episode VI: return Of The Jedi)."
Jason: "Well I assumed Klingons crossed with 'Planet Of The Apes' gorillas."
Shaun: "Two UNIT soldiers have already been killed."
MJ: "Good."
Shaun: "Me and Jason both thought the girl soldier, from the future, looked like Faora."
MJ: "The bad woman from 'Superman II' yes - very hot.  It's quite good and The Doctor had cheese and wine!  Okay - Episode Two by Louis Marks." *To Mark* "That's like you - but plural!"
Mark: "It is."
Shaun: "It's like Louis Theroux but with a different last name."
Jason: "It's like Karl Marx..." *Laughter* "With Groucho Marx."
MJ: "And we're back to her (girl on screen) stroking her computer - weirdly!  Alright, get a room, Love!  Episode Two."

*EPISODE TWO GETS WATCHED*


Photo 2: At Jason's house -  Mark (with the DVD case),
Shaun (holding the sign),
Leigh & Jason.


Shaun: "I'm quite surprised this is only going to be a Four-parter - you know, bringing the Daleks.  They've got quite a lot going on."
MJ: "Yeah and we're at the end of Episode Two."
Shaun: "The Master's got to be in it - somewhere."
MJ: *Laughing* "The Master's in jail!"
Mark: "You're clearly going to be disappointed!"
Shaun: "I'm not!"
Mark: "You are!"
Shaun: "Right the next episode is going to start with, like, the Dalek in the tunnel and it's head's going to pop off and then it'll be like" *Puts on Master voice* " 'Surprise Doctor!!  I was the Dalek all along!!  And now China will go to war with England or whatever's going on in the background!  It was ALL my plan!  Oh, I've been betrayed.' "*Laughter* " 'Dunno by who - someone!' "
*MJ sings Doctor Who end credits*
Shaun: "One of the Orgons."
MJ: "Ogrons!" *Singing to the tune of 'Wizbit'* " 'Ogron this-a-way, Ogron that-a-way.  Ogron this-a-way, my oh my!' Hah!"
Mark: "Can I steal a cigarette off someone?"
MJ: "No, 'cos you gave up!"
Shaun: "I'll tell you what you can do, you can go f**k yourself!"

*Laughter*
Mark: "Yeah fair enough then...."
Shaun: "Here you go then."
MJ: "I say no - like (as a non-smoker) I'm going to give him one!"

Leigh: "Hur-hur!  You're going to 'Give him one'!"
MJ: "Hah!"
Leigh: "You said 'Give him one'!"
Shaun: *Looking around Jason's garden - full of piles of dry grass* "It's looking like we need to be slightly careful where we put our cigarettes today."

*Leigh laughs*
MJ: "Yes we're outside in Jason's, errr, lots-of-hay garden!  Lots of stuff to set fire to!  So are you enjoying this one Shaun?"
Shaun: "It's alright, yeah!  Quite a lot going on, but doesn't feel busy.  So, yeah.  I quite fancy - what do you say her name was?  'Anat'?"
MJ: "Anat, yeah.  The AT-AT!"
Shaun: "Yeah she's quite nice!"
MJ: "Yes she is - as we said before she looks like the woman from Superman 2.  Who Shaun knows the name of."
Shaun: "Faora."
MJ: "No, that's a drink for crows!  Haha!"
Leigh: "No it's too orangey for crows!"
MJ: *Laughing* "Oh yeah, that's right!  Enjoying that one Mark?"
Mark: "Yeah."
MJ: "Even though it's Pertwee who you're not keen on?"
Mark: "It's alright.  Yeah, it's rattling along."
MJ: "Actually, the Daleks don't sound AS bad as I thought they did - they were just a bit slow."
Shaun: "They do sound wrong though."
MJ: "Yeah, they're not right." *Puts on a slow Dalek voice* "THEY-ARE-A-BIT-TOO-PRO-NOUNCE-EV-E-RY-THING - it's like: oh come on!  We've got homes to go to!"
Shaun: "Skip to the end!"
*Laughter*
Mark: "At least they're not counting down from ten thousand."
MJ: "Oh God that would take ages with these ones!  I like that The Dalek's 'Time Tunnel' is through a, errr-"
Mark: "Tunnel."
MJ: "Tunnel, yes."
Shaun: "Oh I really like the evil guy (The Controller) - with the swirling chair!"
MJ: "Oh he span around - yes!"
Shaun: "When Jo appeared - that was brilliant!"
MJ: "In the future this is."
Shaun: "Laughed my arse off!"
MJ: "He's pretending - well I don't know if he's pretending to be a good guy or not!  Perhaps he IS a good guy - with his evil, waxy, sinister demeanour!  Haha!"
Shaun: "Whilst working for the Daleks!"
Leigh: "He both looks and sounds a bit like David Cameron!"
*MJ and Mark Laugh*
Shaun: "I was thinking that!"
MJ: "Yes he's got the same waxy kind of sheen to him!  Yeah.  Oh dear me."
Shaun: "Well it's good - once again we have middle-management.  That's in there and safe!"
*Leigh chuckles*
MJ: "What happened with the, erm, Sir - the one who owns the country house?"
Leigh: "He's in China."
MJ: "Oh he's in China?"
Mark: "He's in Peking."
Shaun: "Trying to stop the Chinese pulling out of the Peace Talks.  Which will have war with Russia and South America."
Leigh: "I don't know when it became 'Peking' - well it was always 'Beijing' wasn't it?  We changed it to 'Peking'." (When Leigh says we he doesn't mean our group - The Four Whores & Shauny-Jim don't have the power to change the names of countries.  Yet...)
Mark: "So they are still using the old Colonial term then?"
Leigh: "Yeah."
Shaun: "Yeah."
MJ: "Well he is an old boy isn't he?  He saw a ghost from the future - and then said he didn't!  It wasn't a ghost - it was just the rebels."
Shaun: "It was nice to finally find out what happened to the future soldier from the first episode.  'Cos The Doctor pushed the button and he disappeared.  Then they eventually said 'Oh his corpse was found in the twenty-second century'."
MJ: "Oh yeah." *Starts singing to tune of the Mighty Boosh song 'Future Sailor'* "Future soldier!  Haha!"
Shaun: "I was just getting a bit confused as to what was going on there."
MJ: *Laughing* "Future Soldiers are different to Future Sailors aren't they?!"
*Laughter*
Shaun: "Yeah, by career."
*Laughter*
Leigh: "After they've killed, erm, Sir Whatsit-thingmybob - "
MJ: "Yeah?"
Leigh: "Do they then have to kill Sarah Connor?"
*MJ laughs*
Mark: "Yes."
Shaun: "Don't tempt me with the thought that Arnie might be in this!!  Preferably as The Master!!"
Mark: "They should have just stolen a Dalek, re-programmed it and sent it back.  That would have been much more efficient!"
*Leigh laughs*
MJ: *Doing an Arnold Schwarzenegger voice* "Welcome, Doctor, to my intricate trap!  I have plan within plans!  Asshole."
Shaun: *Doing an Arnold Schwarzenegger voice* "Did you enjoy your wine and cheese?  I hope you've left room as I'm going to RAM MY FIRST INTO YOUR STOMACH AND PULL OUT YOUR SPINE!!"
*Laughter*
MJ: "Said The Master!"
Leigh: "That seemed unnecessary!"
MJ: "Yes The Doctor enjoyed cheese and wine, as is his wont!"
Mark: "Still at least we know he'll be getting away in the chopper.  Ahhhh."
Shaun: "Very good."
MJ: " 'Chopper' also means 'Penis'."
*Laughter*
MJ: "And on that bombshell I'll see how Jason's finding it before I stop this!" *Goes to kitchen* "Hello Jason!"
Jason: "Hello."
MJ: "How ya finding this one?"
Jason: "It's alright.  Not thrilling me but there's stuff going on."
MJ: "Yeah.  Have you seen this one before?"
Jason: "No, never.  Good characters, good science.  People acting how they are not supposed to act."
MJ: "I'm quite enjoying it.  We were saying it's quite zippy, going along there."
Jason: "I thought the first part didn't seem very quick."
MJ: "Well no, no.  I suppose it's the set-up and all that - innit!"
Jason: "It is - but yeah.  It's alright.  I'm not really sure, completely, who's who and what's going on."
MJ: "Welcome to my world."
*Both laugh*
Jason: "Erm, either it will become clear - or it won't!  I probably hope it doesn't and it'll become intriguing!"
MJ: "Yeah and you'll go 'What the Hellllll?' "
Jason: "Otherwise I will go 'Well that's just stupid!  They should have done THAT and then be told!' "
MJ: "Nice to see the Daleks in colour, finally."
Jason: "Well, I suppose, growing up with colour Daleks, it's not THAT big a deal."
MJ: "No, no, we've got to PRETEND, Jason!  We've never seen it - well except in the big Peter Cushing movies!"
Jason: "Oh that's true!  I would have seen them there - "
MJ: "- When they were multi-coloured and -"
Jason: "- With fire extinguishers  - they did shoot fire extinguishers?"
MJ: "Yes with foam coming out - oh THAT'S what we're missing!!  Foam!!  Hah!  Love foam.  Okay I'll pause it there.  Onto Part Three."

*EPISODE THREE GETS WATCHED*


Photo 3: At Jason's house -  Mark (with the DVD case),
Shaun (holding the sign),
Leigh & Jason.

MJ: "End of Episode Three.  He's strapped to a table - The Doctor - with old pictures of him (Hartnell and Troughton) being shown on the screen.  With The Dalek's saying 'YOU-WILL-DO' - erm, whatever it is!"
Shaun: "You are the Doctor!"
MJ: "Oh yeah."
Shaun: *Reading credits* "Oh, there are only two Dalek voices in that episode."
MJ: "And The Doctor goes: 'Yeah, I know who I am...thanks!  Can I go now?!' 'NO!'  And they knocked out a big Ogron - a big tough-hide-skin thing with a little flimsy wine bottle." *Laughs*
Jason: "You don't know that!"
Shaun: "It was made from a future material."
Leigh: "Concrete."
MJ: "Perhaps they're like young babies, that don't have their skull fully formed?  Maybe that's a weak spot on their head!"
Mark: "You don't know that for sure."
MJ: "I DON'T know that!  Onto Part Four!" *Puts on Wurzel Gummidge voice* "I'll have a cup of tea and a slice of cake, Aunt Sally!  Ooo me Thinking Head!"
*Laughter* "Good game, good game!"
Shaun: "It's not even the same person!!"
*Laughter*
MJ: "These impressions are just for you, MJ, later."
*Laughter*

*EPISODE FOUR GETS WATCHED*


Photo 4: At Jason's house -  MJ (with the DVD case)
and Shaun (holding the sign).

Mark: "That was a sudden ending!"
MJ: "It WAS a sudden ending!  So that was the end of it!  We had Sir Reginald Styles - that didn't turn out to be The Master - much to Shaun's chagrin!  After the credits they'll find Styles ring on the floor and a hand will come in and" *Does evil laugh - followed by a sigh*
"And then skips off and says 'Oh by the way, it's me, The Master.'"
*Laughter*
Jason: "Generally I like the plot."
Shaun: "It's going to be my thing every week, by the way, now.  Like every time we do this I'll pick a random character to be The Master!" *Leigh laughs* "I was assured he would be in ALL of it until Pertwee leaves!!"
MJ: "No!  I mean he dies one season - in real life!"
Shaun: "Yeah but that's part of why Pertwee left, isn't it?"
Leigh: " 'Cos he killed him."
MJ: "So What were you wanting to say, Jason?"
Jason: "I like the general plot.  I know it was before then, but it was basically 'The Terminator' and, errr, 'Genesis Of The Daleks' a little bit as well - can we go back and change the future etc.  And I liked the good guy that was also the bad guy who was also a middle man."
MJ: "Hah!"
Shaun: "He was good."
MJ: "The waxy guy!  What was his name?"
Shaun: "The Commander!"
Leigh: "The Controller!"
Shaun: "Oh - Controller."
Jason: "Fat Controller."
Mark: "I like the fact that the fact that even though they only had four episodes they still managed to put in two filler episodes."*Laughter*
MJ: "So not really a fan there, Mark?"
Mark: *Laughing* "No, actually I quite liked that one!"
Jason: "Yes they always wrap them up really quickly - they could have just not had so much walking slowly!  Talking slowly..."
MJ: "Yeah, that end scene... well in the new version of this story they make the battle better.  A bit more exciting."
Shaun: "Dynamic."
MJ: "Yeah.  Rather than a few Ogrons and a couple of Daleks walking slowly through a garden - with gunshots going on!  Explosions.... UNIT doing what they do..."
Shaun: "Being killed."
Jason: "I was expecting it to be worse - from MJ was telling me about the improvements."
MJ: "Yeah."
Jason: "I didn't see a lot wrong with that."
MJ: "No.  It was fine."
Mark: "I'd hope after that last episode, though, The Brigadier takes The Doctor to one side and says: 'Look if there's a bomb just SAY there's a bomb!"
*Laughter*
Shaun: "Yeah, don't argue with us for TEN MINUTES!  Vaguely saying 'There MIGHT be a problem!' "
*Laughter*
MJ: "Yeah get out of the house!!"
Shaun: " ' 'Cos there's a f**king bomb!  I've been to the future, right, this entire place is blown up and World War Three happens!  Maybe you should get out!' "
MJ: "Yeah!  'You've got to leave.' 'Why?' 'Errr...you've got to leave...'  If somebody said to me 'You've gotta leave' I'd be like 'Why?'.  If somebody said 'You've got to leave BECAUSE there's a bomb' I'd go:" *Irish accent* " 'Fair enough then, Father!  Right so.' "
*Laughter* "And they'd say 'There's no time for impressions!!  There's a f**king bomb I just told yer!!!' " *Laughter* " 'Yer dickhead!!' "
Jason: "Well I didn't realise this at the time - Alex MacIntosh - remember him he played the News Reporter.  Well Alex MacIntosh was played by... Alex MacIntosh!"
*Gasps*
Shaun: "Nice."
Mark: He's an actual newsreader?"
MJ: "Oh right - the newsreader!  Well there you go.  Inventor of the MacIntosh."
Leigh: "Yeah."
MJ: "Coat - not the computer."
Mark: "No."
Shaun: "No that was by Jim Apple."
*Laughter* 
MJ: *Laughing* "Jim Apple!  How did you find it Mr. Leigh?"
Leigh: "Yeah it was fine.  It wasn't the best episode I'd ever seen but it certainly wasn't the worst!"
MJ: "I think we say that most weeks!  Haha!"*Laughter* 
Mark: "That's the general consensus so far."
MJ: "No, I really enjoyed that one, I thought it was, err, good.  A nice mix between the future and now.  ANAT!" *Laughs*
Shaun: "The, in very heavy quotation marks, "Future" 'cos the, Controller was it?"
Leigh: "Mmm."
Shaun: "Well he had one room that looked quite spacey and absolutely everything else looked like it was in the regular areas they film in!"
*Laughter* 
Mark: "I liked the fact that the future was a car park. It's a good look for the future."
MJ: "And, erm, Jon Pertwee - The Doctor - always liked to have his gadgets to ride on and this time he had his, errr, mini little motor..."
Shaun: "Trike."
MJ: "...trike thing with flat wheels - FAT, flat wheels!"
Shaun: "Because it was an off-roader one."
MJ: "And erm, yeah, they'd put some weird noise over the top to make it seem more spacey!"
Jason: "It was worth having that chase scene in it, I thought..."
Shaun: "Oh yeah!"
Jason: "A whole two minutes!  Oh we're caught again!

MJ: " 'Oh we ran into a bush!!  Oh we've been caught!' "
Leigh: *Laughing* "Yeah not exactly exciting!"
MJ: "I was on the edge of my seat...."
Jason: "You can't take chase scenes and escapes out of Doctor Who!  'We've escaped!' 'Well that's good then.' - you can't let them get away with it!  Otherwise it's One-Parters all the way!"
*Leigh laughs*
MJ: "And that was the beginning of (Pertwee's) Season Three.  So what did we think of 'Day Of Daleks' as in score wise?"
Jason: "Errrrr - I don't know what I gave the last one but I'm going to go with a err.........seven point six four - sod that, I'm going with eight!"
MJ: "Eight from Jason."
Jason: "No not an eight!  Seven point five!"
MJ: "Seven point five!  Jesus Christ..."
*Leigh laughs*
Mark: "Would you like to be less decisive about yours?"
MJ: "Leigh?"
Leigh: "Seven."
MJ: "Seven.  I think seven's fair enough from me!  I might bump it up to eight if we watch the other version.  'Cos I do like the other one.  Right Mark and Shaun?"
Mark: "Seven point two five."
MJ: "Shaun?"
Shaun: "I'm going to give it a six point nine two one eight three.  'Cos I quite like it - that's pretty close to a seven.  However I am taking a small amount off due to the fact that The Master wasn't in it!" *Laughter* "I was very annoyed by that and frankly it's  - well we had a little of the stuff you'd normally have -  a bit of banter between The Master and The Doctor - normally my favourite part of them.  Erm, but he had that with the Controller guy.  So that was fine - but I still wanted him to pull off a rubber mask!"
*Chuckles*
Jason: "Maybe he's in the re-mastered version."
Shaun: "Yeah!  THAT'S what they've improved!  They've put The Master in it!!!"
Leigh: "Re-MASTERed."
MJ: "Re-MASTERed - very good Leigh!  One thing that I DID think was missing was that I think they should have done a call-back to the very beginning - when they saw their future selves (The Doctor and Jo) in the door."
Jason: "Oh I forgot about that!"
Leigh: "I expected them to do that."
MJ: "Yeah and I thought it might END with that."
Jason: "I expected that to happen."
Shaun: "Well maybe they originally planned to make this five episodes and then they just couldn't pad it out enough.  Which is why the very end seemed oddly condensed."
*We all talk over each other trying to work it out!*
MJ: "So what does The Book say Jason!?"
Jason: "I'll tell you what The Book says" *Reading* " 'Guerrillas from a Dalek-controlled twenty-second century travel back in time to prevent World War Three.  Dropmore House, in Taplow, Buck's, was the location for the Peace Conference while the railway bridge of the Paddington branch of the Grand Union Canal near Bull's Bridge in Hayes, Middlesex was the site chosen as the time tunnel.  Three 1960's Daleks were re-painted - Two dark grey and one gold - and had pupils added to their eye-stalks.' "
Leigh: "I did not notice that."
Mark: "I didn't notice that either."
Jason: *Reading* " 'The Ogron half-masks, reminiscent of the 'Planet Of The Apes' films, were sculpted by John Friedlander.  Frank Bellamy painted a Radio Times cover to advertise the story.'  Now do you want to know the verdict?"
Leigh: "Yes."
Shaun: "Yeah."
Jason: *Reading* " 'This intelligently scripted, 'Terminator' prototype' - it just said two things I said!"
Mark: "Yeah I said it as well!"
Jason: *Reading* " '- Features an incredible future world and an effective documentary style approach to much of the present day action.  On the downside the Daleks seem oddly static.  Nine out of Ten.' "
MJ: "Oh!"
Mark: "The reviewer really like that one."
MJ: "He did.  Yeah but that's probably why the re-did it (for the DVD)."
Jason: "I liked the camera work at the end, I have to say.  When they were filming AS a film - like a camera-crew filming them."
MJ: "Mmm."
Leigh: "Oh right yeah, the Delegates getting out."
Jason: "Like hand-held camera.  That looked quite good - that looked like an ACTUAL thing happening."
MJ: "I thought the model of the house blowing-up was quite good."
Mark: "No they blew-up a warehouse."
Jason: "Yeah it definitely looked like a model of a house blowing-up!"
*Leigh laughs*
Mark: "It was a real house!!"
MJ: "The BBC complained - sorry, the PEOPLE complained to the BBC 'Hey you're blowing-up real houses now!  Churches the other week, jokers to the left..." *Laughter* "Here I am - what's next time Jason?"
Jason: "Oh I just shut The Book!  Next time - same Bat Channel, same Who-niverse."
MJ: "Might be one I've never seen - might be one I HAVE seen."
Jason: "Well you can finish it off!  'The Curse Of' -"
MJ: " 'Peladon'!"
Jason: "Yeah."
Leigh: " 'The Mummy's Tomb'!"
Shaun: " 'The Curse Of Peladon'?"
MJ: "Now I've never seen that and if you like One-Eyed Monsters, you'll enjoy that!"
Leigh: "Hang on..."
MJ: "So yes, until next time - Yayyyyyy!  Bye!"


Photo 5: At Jason's house - 
Shaun (holding the sign),
Leigh & Jason menacing Leigh!).

********************************************************************************************************

Well that was all fun and games!  It would be nice to re-watch the re-mastered version with the guys at some point but in the mean time here are the scores on the doors:

Leigh: 7
Shaun: 6.92183
Mark: 7.25
MJ: 7
Jason: 7.5

Which means average scores for this one were 7.134366 out of 10!  

Well I'm well behind with these - as per!  So I won't babble on!

So until next time I shall return, yes i shall return...
 

MJ - 01/09/2016

No comments:

Post a Comment