Monday 25 January 2016

DOCTOR WHO MARATHON 50th MEET-UP - DOCTOR WHO & THE SILURIANS

Sunday 17th January 2016


Hello again!  Well continuing our year of colour Doctor Who were onto Jon Pertwee's second story "Doctor Who & The Silurians".  Our first seven parter for Pertwee.  With that in mind the gang all met around my house a little earlier to watch what went down in Groove-Town.  Here's the damage.....

****************************************************************************************************

MJ: *bored voice* "Yay, we're here. At mine (MJ)."
Shaun: "Do you mind if I shut the curtains?"
MJ: "Okay - we're going to shut the curtains for Shaun."
Jason: "And me!"
MJ: "And you?  Is it on the screen?"
Shaun: "Jason's with me, we want a little -" *winks and makes a click noise*
Mark: " We already moved the Christmas tree for you." (It's not actually a Christmas tree - just a sparkly decoration, tree-thing that my wife likes! - MJ)
Shaun: "Makes it a bit easy in the dark!"
*Jason laughs*
MJ: "You're very demanding!"
Jason: "Can we shut the door as well!?"
MJ: "A diva!"
Mark: "Can we redecorate the whole house?"
Leigh: "We don't want to make it TOO dark!  It's SEVEN episodes, I WILL fall asleep!"
*Laughter*
Shaun: "And can you all leave so me and Jason can have some alone time in the dark?!"
*Laughter*Jason: "I don't want to be staring at the kitchen the whole time!  It's reflected in the screen!"
Leigh: "When I fall asleep and have to ask you what happens - it's YOUR fault!"
Mark: "Look you've attracted MJ's dog now!"
Jason: (to MJ's dog, Yana) "Hello?"
Shaun: "I tell you what, Leigh.  I'll just do this: 'Leigh, Leigh, Leigh!' through the whole seven episodes!"
Leigh: "No not the whole thing!  Just when I all asleep."
MJ: "Okay so we're here today at mine to watch 'Doctor Who And The Silurians' - one of the few episodes/serials which has 'Doctor Who' in the title.  I guess The Book will say something about that later."
Jason: "It will says 'This is one of the few episodes...'!"
MJ: "Yes! 'One of the few episodes.  You all liked it/hated it.  So I hated it/liked it.  It's going to be the opposite of what we think."
Mark: "I dunno, we've been matching up recently."
MJ: "We HAVE been matching up!"
Mark: "Disturbingly so!"
Shaun: "I'm looking forward to this one - these are the race of lizard people who evolved at the same time as humans but live underground, right?"
MJ: "Maybe....!" *MJ Laughs*
Shaun: "No it is right?"
MJ: "Well yeah..."
Leigh: "One of them fought William Shatner in a quarry."
Mark: "Yes...."
*Laughter*
MJ: "Wasn't that a Gord - or something?" (It's actually a Gorn!)
Mark: "That was a Gord, yeah."
MJ: "And he also felt Sheldon - FELT?! *Laughs* Yes he also FELT Sheldon and that's why he's not interested in any physical contact with Amy....Farrah Fowler?  I stumbled as I was going to say 'Farrah Fawcett-Majors' or something!"
Shaun: "We've moved from 'Doctor Who' into 'Star Trek' to 'The Big Bang Theory'."
Leigh: "And then Farrah Fawcett."
Jason: "The 'Six Million Dollar Man"
MJ: "Well she was married to him!  So hey -"
Shaun: "I think he was Steve Austin - there was a wrestler named Steve Austin."
MJ: "There was!"
Mark: "There was, yeah!" *Laughs*
MJ: "What was his full name - something like 'Dangerous Steve Austin'?"
Shaun: "He was 'Stunning' in WCW and then 'Stone-Cold Steve Austin' -"
Mark: "- He was 'Stunning' at some point?"
Shaun: *Laughs* "He was 'Stunning Steve Austin' when he had long blonde hair!"
MJ: "Oh dear."
Shaun: "Yeah.  It's surprising that THAT gimmick never put him in the upper echelons of WCW!"
*Laughter*
Mark: "Yeah, amazing..."
MJ: "Let's go Pertwee crazy..."

EPISODE ONE GETS PUT ON...

MJ: *referencing a Miner on-screen* "He won't be in it much - he's only got a 'Miner' role..
Everyone Else: "Ahhhhhh!"
MJ: "....Even though he's a pot-holer.... and not a miner.... but you know, he looks Pot-Holeish!"
Shaun: "He looks more like a miner than a pot-holer!"
MJ: "Ooo we've seen the monster straight away!  I thought we wouldn't see it until the end of Episode One!"
Mark: "Oh!"
Leigh: "It was only a glimpse."
MJ: "It's only a puppet - no, model!  Oooo scary stuff!  Ahh the Doctor singing AND his yellow car Bessie, that we're seeing for the first time!"
Jason: "Yeah."
*Doctor's companion, Liz Shaw, comes on-screen in a short skirt*
Leigh: "That's her ENTIRELY practical Scientist costume!"
*Laughter*

EPISODE ONE AND TWO GET WATCHED...



Photo 1:
Jason, Shaun (holding the sign), Leigh
and Mark (holding the DVD Cover),
around MJ's house

MJ: "Well that's two parts in!  Lots of annoying noises aren't there?"
Shaun: "Yeah!"
Leigh: "Even when MJ's NOT speaking!"
MJ: "Heyyyyyy!!"
*Laughter*
Jason: "It's good so far."
MJ: "I'm enjoying it."
Leigh: "It's the best one with lizard people in I've seen in this series!"
MJ: *Laughs* "Well I can't argue with Leigh there!!"
Shaun: "Fine so far.  Bit slow, but yeah, I wanna see the lizard man."
Jason: "Slow?!  Loads happened!"
MJ: "I don't know that it's slow -"
Shaun: "- Yeah loads DID happen and half of it was arguing around a cyclotron!"
Mark: "What's wrong with arguing around a cyclotron?"
Leigh: "Well, it's a made-up word!"
*Mark Laughs*
 MJ: "No there IS such a thing as a cyclotron."
Shaun: "Yeah there is such a thing as a cyclotron."
Leigh: "I don't believe it."
Shaun: "It's one of the things Stan Lee was obsessed with in the sixties being the future of all technology!  That and transistors!"
Mark: "And gamma radiation."
Shaun: "Yeah, it would just do everything."
Mark: *Laughs* "Yeah that's all we need - gamma radiation."
Leigh: *Bitterly* "And a cyclotron!"
Shaun: "Yep!"
Mark: "And a cyclotron.  You're set up for life then."
Shaun: "Pretty much."
MJ: "I think the caves looked good."
Mark: "The caves looked good."
Shaun: "The caves looked like caves.  Probably filmed in a cave."
Mark: "Tim Robbins did a good job of them."
Jason: "They looked like a set - of caves."
MJ: "No, but I mean it's not a BAD set, is it?  I think there's some Colour Separation Overlay in there - CSO work.  Well it looks like it."
Leigh: "What!?"
MJ: "That's where the actors are against blue-screen and then they get a model of, like, caves and then that is put on the background.  I think there's some of that there and often it doesn't work well, but in this it works very well.  Unless I'm wrong and it's not that at all!"
Mark: "I didn't notice anything."
MJ: "No."
Jason: "Nothing stood out to me - and they usually do."
MJ: "No it looked good.  I'm sure the book will tell us!" *puts on bookish voice* "Extensive CSO work was performed in, erm, Acton Village Hall by a man and his dog!"
Jason: *Taking on mantle* "For the scenes in the caves we filmed this on the moon!"
*Laughter*
MJ: "Well then, not really much to say - two parts in and it's still intriguing."
Jason: "Hang on, I like her - she's good!"
*Laughter*
MJ: "You like her, she's good?  Who's that?"
Jason: "The one played by Tomasine."
MJ: "Oh Tomasine - the other ginger!"
Jason: "The other ginger."
MJ: "Yes."
Jason: "Not the (Liz) Shaw ginger
Shaun: "The woman under Doctor Quinn."
Leigh: "The medicine woman."
Shaun: "NOT the medicine woman!"
*Mark laughs*
Jason: "I wanna know do we think Liz Shaw dead?"
Shaun: "No."
MJ: "Oh yes 'cos we left it that she could have been dead."
Mark: "Oh yeah, she might be."
Leigh: "Oh yeah."
Jason: "She might die of fear!"
Shaun: "She was fine."
Mark: " I'm hoping that the crazy guy in the hospital is gonna be the new companion, so..."
*Laughter*
Shaun:  "I'm hoping the Doctor's bad drawing of the Silurian face is the new companion!"
Jason: "I want the Nazi guy to be the companion." (this was Dr. Charles Lawrence - a sinister looking chap (with a fantastic bald-head-hiding comb-over!) who looked like he could have been a Nazi.  This plays out as the actor, Peter Miles, did go on to be in "Genesis of the Daleks" where he dressed pretty much as a Nazi soldier!)
Shaun: "What!?"
Mark: "Yes, or maybe both of them - they can just lurk around in the TARDIS being a bit nuts."
Jason: "I think he's really good - the Nazi guy!"
MJ: "I think he is, yeah.  He's the bald guy with his hair slicked over."
Jason: "He's believable in that he doesn't like stuff and I like that!"
Mark: "He's a necessary angry middle-management - "
Jason: "Yeah I don't hate his character - I don't like him but I don't hate the character.  Well, I DO hate the character but I don't hate the actor!" *Laughs* "I don't know what I mean!"
Mark: "Right."
Jason: "Finished?  Good!"
MJ: "Okay, that's the end of Part Two."

EPISODE THREE GETS PUT ON...



Photo 2:
MJ (stroking his dog Yana), Shaun (holding the sign), 
Leigh and Mark (holding the DVD Cover),
around MJ's house.

MJ: "No talking yet - apparently.  Okay we just sat through Episode Three and the Doctor being menaced by a Silurian - "
Leigh: "- Called Pat Gorman."
MJ: "Pat Gorman.  And old Fulton MacKay is dead now, bless him."
Shaun: "I thought the Silurian looked BETTER than I was expecting actually."
Leigh: "I expected it to look a little more like a dinosaur."Shaun: "We've seen the dinosaur - that looked pretty dodgy.  But the Silurians look alright."
Jason: "So is that a pet dinosaur then?"
Shaun: "I'm assuming it's either a robot or a pet yeah."
Leigh: "Or mode of transport."
*Laughter*
Leigh: "They can travel everywhere by dinosaur."
Shaun: "That would be amazing!"
Leigh: "They could sing 'Everyone Do The Dinosaur'."
MJ: "Who was that?"
Shaun: "Are you thinking of 'Everybody WALK The Dinosaur'?"
Leigh: "That's it!"
Shaun: "That's Was Not Was."
Leigh: "Ahh."
Shaun: "Open the door, look on the floor, everyone walk that dinosaur."
MJ: "It was-was-was them."
Shaun: "Not it was-not-was."
Leigh: "Tiswas?  CRACKERJACK!"
*Episode Four titles are starting*
MJ: *Reading end credits* "Malcolm Hulke?  Malcolm smash!"
*Mark laughs*
Shaun: "EPISODE FOUR!"
Leigh: *singing* "Doctor Whooooooooooooo!"
Shaun: *singing* "Doctor Whooooooooooooo!"
MJ: "Brilliant."

EPISODE FOUR GETS WATCHED...



Photo 3:
MJ and Shaun (holding the sign)
around MJ's house.

MJ: "Well there we go - we just left 'em.  The Doctor's caged up with Silurians.  He tried to help them and now he's getting killed by one of them."
Shaun: "He's dead!"
MJ: "He's dead?  Actual death?" *Does impression of Silurian* " 'And now I shall kill you!'  Pretty, pretty damn good."

Jason: "I like him - he's my favourite."
*Laughter*
MJ: "Pretty, pretty damn good."
Jason: "Yep.  It's not like the other week when you was thinking 'What's left to happen, as it's all happened already?' "
Mark: "How many episodes are there left?"
MJ: "Four."
Leigh: "Four, yep."
Mark: "What's going to happen for the next three?"
MJ: "They're gonna try and go across a canyon!"
Leigh: "Yeah I think that's what going to happen in the caves, certainly."
Mark: "I can see another episode but not....three."
Shaun: "I dunno -"
Jason: "- Something's gonna kick off and then there'll be another level above the Silurians."
Mark: "Okay."
Jason: "The Jurassics or something."

*Mark laughs*

Leigh: 
*GRAND voice* "Jurassic Park!"
Shaun: "I liked that episode - I'm happy to watch more of this saga now.  Things have started happening and it's good."
MJ: "Yeah."
Jason: "I actually did think for a moment that the Master was going to turn up.  When the guy (from the Government), Geoffrey Palmer, was Mr. MASTERs."
MJ: "Ahhhh!"
Jason: "I thought that was was going to be him - despite the fact that I've seen this before!"
*Laughter*

Shaun: "I was gonna say we say this EVERY week now we're all just waiting for the Master to turn up!"

Mark: "That's all we're waiting for now."
Shaun: "'Cos we know he turns up sooner or later."

MJ: "Yeah.  I'm not going to give you an spoilers but...." 
*Laughs* "No I'm not!"
Shaun: "It's obviously not the BEST Master - that was Eric Roberts
!"

*MJ Laughs*

Leigh: "No the best Master was Master Blaster
 from 'Mad Max 3 - Beyond the Thunderdome'."

Mark: "Yeah..."
Shaun: "That's perfectly fair."

Mark: "I'm not gonna dispute that."

MJ: "The thing about that movie is that we needed another hero in it..."
Leigh: "No, we DON'T need another hero!"
MJ: "Oh okay." 
*MJ Laughs*



Photo 4:
Jason, Shaun (holding the sign), Leigh
and Mark (holding the DVD Cover),
around MJ's house

EPISODE FIVE GETS WATCHED...

MJ: "Well they've destroyed the leader - one of the Silurians is bad.  He was going to help the Doctor and now he's gone bad - killed his leader and released a deadly disease to kill the humans."
Shaun: "The one that was helping the Doctor was the leader."
MJ: "Yep!"
Mark: "Yep and he's dead."
Shaun: "It's the other one who's gone bad?"
MJ: "That's right."
Shaun: "Yep."
MJ: "Yes I knew that, that's what I said."
Shaun: "'Cos he doesn't want to share the planet with APES!"
MJ: "Yes dirty apes."
Jason: "Damn dirty apes!"
Mark: "So they're racist, basically."

Jason: "Yep"
Shaun: "Siluracist."
MJ: "And now people seem to be infected by this virus."
Jason: "Well I hope they find a cure...."
Shaun: "No.  It's one of the most depressing Doctor Who's ever.  Earth is destroyed!  Taken over by the Silurians!"

Jason: "Luckily the TARDIS gets fixed just at the end and they go back in time and stop it all."
Mark: "Everybody's dead next week - 'The Walking Dead'!  Yay!"
Shaun: "Yep!"

*Leigh re-enters the room*

Shaun: "We're waiting for you Leigh - can't miss a second."
MJ: "He has very pert wee..."
*Sniggering*
 Leigh "I'm back!"
MJ: "Yayyyyy!"
Jason: "From out of space!"
Leigh:
 *Does Silurian impression* "I made it all of the way back!"
*Laughter*
 

Shaun: "Excellent Leigh!"
MJ: "The Silurians DO talk a bit funny and move a bit like Scousers!  Not GENERAL Scousers, but the one's off Harry Enfield...."
.



Photo 5:
Tired Leigh, Mark (holding the DVD Cover)
and Yana the dog around MJ's house.

EPISODE SIX GETS WATCHED...

MJ: "So Leigh thinks this should get an award for the worst incidental music."
Jason: "I dunno you weren't that keen on 'The Web Planet'."
Leigh: "No."
MJ: "That was, yeah..."
Mark: "I think this was the best work that the three year olds have ever done!"

*Sniggering*
Mark: "We're stifling their creativity!"
MJ: "What do we think of the Doctor's 'Getting killed, cross-eyed acting' at the end there?  That's..." *Laughs*
Mark: "I find his getting-killed hilarious every time."

*Laughter*
 
Mark: "I like the cross-eyedness."
Shaun: "I just want more of the big, rubber dinosaur!"
Mark: "I need more pipetting!"
Leigh: "Hah!  Yeah, there hasn't been ENOUGH pipetting action!"
Mark: "That's what I call science!"
MJ: "They've found a cure to the disease that's killing everybody and killed Geoffrey Palmer -"
Shaun: "- What part was that?"

MJ: "Six, so we can have a break or we can 
power on?"
Leigh: "Let's power on!
Mark: "Power on through!"
MJ: "Okay well I'm gonna go for a wee!"
Leigh: "Yay.  Pipetting...."




Photo 6:
Shaun (holding the sign) and Leigh
around MJ's house.

EPISODE SEVEN GETS WATCHED...

MJ: "So there we go - what did you think of 'Doctor Who and The Sulurians'?"
Shaun: "It was alright - it was quite good!"
Jason: "Yep, enjoyable!  Bit long - had stuff happen."
Leigh: "Yeah."
MJ: " 'Stuff happened'?!" *Laughs*
Jason: "I forgot he was in it - Fulton MacKay, whatever."
MJ: "Oh yeah, of course he was."
Mark: "I think it was alright."
MJ: "So the Silurians tried to take over the Earth and then they - "
Leigh: "- Didn't."
MJ: "Didn't because - what did they do?  Oh they set off the nuclear reactor so they had to go back into hibernation.  But the Doctor thought 'Well they'll be good in so many years time' but the Brigadier thought not and blew them all up."
Shaun: "Well no - the Doctor HAD experience of ONE Silurian that DIDN'T want war.  So he was going to wake them up, one at a time, find some reasonable ones and hopefully move forward with that."
MJ: "Mmm."
Shaun: "And then the Brigadier just blew everything up!"
Mark: "It's the first time the Doctor cared about both sides I think."
MJ: "That's true, yeah."
Shaun: "He'd done it a load of times!"
Mark: "No he stopped them from killing each other.  Usually he just goes and kills them."
Shaun: "No he's done that a few times.  And then just changes his mind and kills them all!"
*Mark laughs*
Jason: "I got the impression that the Brigadier may NOT have wanted to kill them - he just wanted to seal up all the cave entrances."
MJ: "Ahhhh right."
Shaun: "Which is, I think, what they explained he actually did."
Mark: "Yeah - he didn't say seal it off."
Jason: "But the Doctor thinks they blew them up."
MJ: "Mmmm."
Shaun. "Yep!"
Jason: "So obviously the Doctor never work with the Brigadier again now..."
MJ: "No never!"
Mark: "No."
Shaun: "Definitely NOT in the next serial."
Jason: "No."
*Mark chuckles*
Jason: "Hopefully they'll tackle that subject."
MJ: "How did you find the Silurians as aliens?  Did you find them annoying?"
Jason: "I liked them."
Shaun: "As did I!"
Jason: "They varied a little bit - they had personality.  They had there own middle-management issues."
Shaun: "Yes!"
MJ: "Yeah they did!"
Leigh: "They danced as they spoke!"
Jason: "They had comical voices."
MJ: "They did!"
Shaun: "They had a giant rubber monster that was occasionally super-imposed into doorways!"
*Leigh laughs*
Mark: "One of them had Parkinson's - so that was good to see..."
MJ: "Yes the Silurians WERE very shaky and wobbly so that's err, yep!"
Jason: "I'm not sure about the whole big dinosaur thing.  I don't think that was needed."
Mark: "I liked the big dinosaur!  I think that was the best part."
Shaun: "Yeah I think that was definitely needed!"
Jason: "I think you could have had a rogue one, who had, like, a big gun, and attacked people."
Shaun: "Yeah but....then we wouldn't have got a big dinosaur!  You see the problem!?"
Jason: "So it's basically their guard dog then?"
MJ: "Yeah pretty much - it's their guard dog."
Jason: "Okay."
MJ: "Well I think generally we all enjoyed that, so what would we give that out of ten?  I don;t know what we gave last times one."
Jason: "I deliberately gave mine a halfway mark so I'll give it seven or eight."
*Mark laughs*
MJ: "So seven and a half then!"
Jason: "No I'll go with an eight, it was alright."
MJ: "Anyone else?"
Mark: "Erm seven point four."
MJ: "Brilliant."
Shaun: "I'm going to give it six point one two."
MJ: *laughing* "You annoying git!"
*Mark laughs*
Leigh: "I'm going to go with a straight seven."
Shaun: "Not a gay seven then?!"
MJ: "I think seven's fair.  I think I'll join you with that.  There's plenty of room for improvement but it's alright.  So I don't think there's too much more to say there?  Good actors, erm, good scenes."
Jason: "You just don't want to type loads of stuff up!"
MJ: "No that's right!  I don't want to type up loads!"
*Jason laughs*
Shaun: "Everyone say big complicated words - make him type it!"
Leigh: "Big complicated words."
MJ: "The picture quality was quite fuzzy but I believe that's because of what source material they have to use it from."
Shaun: "Yep.  I mean a lot of the colours were very in-your-face, but again because of the process they used...."
Mark: "Yeah halfway through an episode they kept telling me that 'Doctor Who was played by John Pertwee'."
*Laughter*
MJ: "Oh yeah, yeah!  The titles were still faded in the background!"
Jason: "Comparative to the re-cons though... that's not a bad thing!"
Mark: "No, at least it was moving!"
MJ: "The music, though, WAS off-putting, sometimes, when it sounded like - "
Leigh: "- Oh God it was dreadful! -"
MJ: "- a kazoo played by a played by a five year old."
Jason: "Only the kazoo bit!"
*We all make weird kazoo-type noises*
Shaun: "The first two episodes had that annoying high pitch sound effects anyway, but it had, like, a slightly more-irritating-than-usual background rumble through the whole thing, to imply that this was a factory - or in this case a nuclear reactor - but it was just slightly more in-your-face than it usually is."
MJ: "Yeah."
Shaun: "It wasn't quite backgroundy enough - but that might have been because of the mix they had to do when they recovered these episodes."
MJ: "Yep - or it could be my telly!  It's often a bit weird with levels.  On the new series the music's often so loud on this telly I can't often hear what they're saying."
Leigh: "That's 'cos you're getting old."
MJ: "No I can hear the music - but then it's often fighting with the vocals."
Leigh: "Yeah that's because old people have that problem."
Jason: "There were more costume changes in this story.  They kept changing for no particular reason sometimes."
Shaun: "There must have been at least six Silurian costumes.  'Cos in that scene at the end there were loads of them."
MJ: "There were yeah."
Leigh: "Well I'm sure The Book will tell us."
Shaun: "YES!"
MJ: "Liz Shaw, you're happy with Liz Shaw?"
Shaun: "I'm VERY sure about Liz Shaw!"
Jason: "Shaun is happy!"
MJ: "Ahh Shaun has a little bit of -"
Shaun: "- I quite fancy Liz Shaw!"
Jason: "We all know Shaun likes a ginger woman."
Mark: "She's your favourite now."
Shaun: "Yes, YES!  'Cos I only had a mild, kind of, fancying to Barbara.  I liked that she was a strong, intelligent woman but Liz Shaw is a relatively strong, intelligent woman and also a hottie who wears short skirts."
Mark: "So there we go."
Shaun: "So she wins the day."
Jason: "She keeps getting told she can't do stuff though."
Shaun: "Yeah, of course!"
Jason: " 'You stay there.  You go there!'  'I'll see you back at the base.' "
Shaun: "Well it is the 70's."
MJ: "The guy with the bald head which was covered up, magnificently, by his long comb over - "
Jason: "- I liked him!"
Shaun: "Yep he was good and he got to go mental.  Which is always fun in a Doctor Who serial."
MJ: "That is."
Mark: "Middle management."
MJ: "Plenty of people died as well."
Shaun: "The make-up to the pox, on some people, was very good."
MJ: "Oh yeah, yeah that's true."
Shaun: "They supposed to be lesions of the skin and they actually looked like the skin had kind of rotted away, just showing the muscle underneath."
MJ: "What's the book say, Jay?"
Jason: "The book says, MJ, errrr...."
MJ: " 'Errr?'  Well that's not a very good start."
Leigh: "It's NOT a great start."
Mark: "It's a badly written book, frankly."
Jason: *Reading* " 'Cave dwelling Silurians are causing power losses in an underground atomic research station.  This was the first story to be shot on colour video and therefore the first to utilize Colour Separation Overlay - CSO.' -"
MJ: "- Mmmm, CSO."
Jason: "Miami." *Reading* " '- to combine pictures from more than one camera source.  Film work mainly centred in the Goldarming and Milford (Surrey) and Marylebone Station -
MJ: "- Ahhh Marylebone Station!"
Mark: "Ahhh it was Marylebone Station!"
Jason: *Reading* " '- Bessie, the Doctor's yellow, Edwardian car, appears here for the first time.  SIX PVC and latex Silurian costumes were constructed by James Ward.' "
MJ: "Yay."
Jason: *Reading* " '- Stylishly directed and convincingly acted, this is an engrossing story spoiled only by Carey Blyton's awful music.' "
*Laughter and agreeing cheers from us all!*
Jason: *Reading* " '- Eight out of ten' "
MJ: "Ahh eight out of ten!"
Shaun: "Eight!"
MJ: "Well there we go.  I think we can't, erm, disagree with the book there.  Well, about the music."
Shaun: "Well most of us disagreed with the overall score."
MJ: "Yeah - I mean just below..."
Mark: "By point six...."
Shaun: "That's....still disagreeing!"
MJ: "Yeah."
Shaun: "No it was WELL below that!"
MJ: "Yeah but generally it's one extreme or the other to us.  This is just a little bit higher.  So there we go that was 'Doctor Who and the Silurians' - oh I didn't ask how you are finding the Doctor?  It's his second outing now, still alright with you guys?"
Mark: "Yeah."
Shaun: "Well I like him - he's not a MASSIVE departure from Troughton though."
Mark: "No."
Shaun: "In the way that Troughton was VERY, very different to..."
Leigh: "Hartnell."
Shaun: "Hartnell, yeah."
MJ: "Yeah."
Shaun: "And, erm, yeah Pertwee's not MASSIVELY different to Troughton."
MJ: "No."
Shaun: "And I mean they have quite a few differences but the overall way he's playing the character is pretty similar."
Jason: "Tattoos."
MJ: "Yes we saw him in a t-shirt!  A t-shirt showing his tattoos!"
Jason: "Definitely tattoos, yes!"
MJ: "I didn't think I'd see the Doctor in a t-shirt."
Jason: "I'm surprised they didn't try to doesn't cover it up or explain it."
MJ: "Yeah."
Jason: "Or wear a sleeve."
Shaun: "Well maybe that will come, in time."
Mark: "Just don't make out it's not there."
Jason: "When you say 'In time' do you mean like in the current (2015) series that was on TV?"
Mark: "Yeah Steven Moffatt's seeded this."
*Leigh laughs*
Mark: "He's going to use it in ten years time."
Shaun: "Well to be fair in the terrible Paul McGann one, when the Master lost his final life, he turned into a weird ghost-snake thing.  And THAT'S what that represents."

*Mark laughs*
MJ: "Ahhh.  Well that's all spoilers for the future, but err - "
Mark: "- I don't know what you're talking about?  That hasn't happened yet."
*MJ laughs*
Shaun: "All these things are true and complete bo**ocks."
MJ: "Well for today's Who-Outing I'm going to say 'Goodbye.' "
Everyone: "Goodbyeeeee!"



Photo 7:
Happy smiles from MJ
and Shaun (holding the sign),
around MJ's house

********************************************************************************************************

Well that went better than I thought a seven parter would go.  And we all seemed to enjoy it - though I'm not sure about Yana the dog. She didn't even get any of our snacks!  Anyhow here's the scores on the doors:
Jason - 8/10
Leigh - 7/10
Mark - 7.4/10
MJ - 7/10
Shaun - 6.12/10

In fact the proper rating works out to 7.104 out of 10!  So a better story than last week's shorter one.  Okay next time we get to watch a story that I've NEVER seen!  so that should be fun!

Until that exciting prospect I shall return, yes I shall return!
MJ
25/01/16

No comments:

Post a Comment