Thursday 20 March 2014

DOCTOR WHO MARATHON 6th MEET-UP - THE SENSORITES

Sunday 16th March 2014

Another Sunday and we all met up around Mark's for our latest in a long line of Who-watching!

This meeting looked to be a good one - we were at the start of a brand new story and we were to watch this and this alone!
So once we all got our hello's and teas out of the way - the gang (including Mark's brother-in-law, Gavin) settled to watch "The Sensorites".

This was a six parter which I remember being quite good and creepy (especially the initial episode).


Photo 1: Gavin, Mark (holding DVD cover
- eyes shut!),
Jason (with sign), Leigh and Jim posing
around Mark's house
.


The Doctor and chums find themselves on a spaceship with the crew apparently dead.  The Doctor decides there's nothing they can do and that it's none of their business so they shouldn't interfere (which I certainly laughed at!  The Doctor does nothing BUT interfere - if he didn't then the stories would be a lot shorter!) - however those sneaky aliens - the Sensorites decide to steal the Tardis lock and so it all begins!
 

Photo 2: Gavin, Mark (holding DVD cover - eyes shut!),
Jason (with sign), Leigh and Michael posing
around Mark's house
.

I did enjoy this story, the aliens were quite fun, as was the initial crew member driven insane!  Ian got poisoned, Susan got telepathy and Barbara disappeared for a few episodes and got a tan!

Photo 3: Gavin, Mark (holding DVD cover - eyes shut!),
Jason (also with eyes shut & with sign), Leigh and
Michael (with an orb!) posing
around Mark's house
.


I also loved the initial reveal of the aliens - the Doctor, Susan, Ian & Barbara look out of the Spaceship's window and, very slowly, a Sensorite silently rises into view.  For me this is one of the best reveals I've seen in all of Doctor Who and certainly added to the creepiness!



Photo 4: A FULL GROUP SHOT (thanks Alex)!
Gavin, Michael, Mark (holding DVD cover
- eyes shut!),
Jason (with sign), Leigh and
Jim posing
around Mark's house
.

Mark:
"I liked it.  It was the first story where the Doctor seemed to be in charge and knew what was going on."So overall it was a serial I enjoyed.  So I'm off until we meet up again.
Jim: "I liked it too. It seemed more of a complete, coherent serial than the previous ones".
Until then I shall return, yes, I shall return....

MJ 16-03-14


1 comment:

  1. Photos 2 and 3 look like I'm trying to avoid something about to attack my right ear, or even my right buttock. Otherwise yes a very good record of another enjoyable afternoon. Looking forward to Easter for the next one that I can make.

    ReplyDelete